Monday, August 31, 2015

Day 32: Lets Do That Again!

Ride:  Big Sur to San Simeon
Distance:  70.0 miles
Total Trip Distance:  1,740 miles
When I turned off of HWY 1 into San Simeon state park, I had one thought on my mind:  I wanna do that again!  It had been 70 miles of perfect cycling.  One of those days when everything just felt right. Like a perfect ski run, or a pitch of climbing where everything just flows and your hands and feet effortlessly find the holds - and you just don't want it to end.  So once again, the pics are scarce because I was having too much fun to stop
The morning started off cool and dry - perfect for the medium sized climb right out of camp.  
There was also very little traffic today - and lots of "thumbs up" and cheers from the folks that passed me.
What makes this stretch so perfect for a southbound bike, is that you spend 90% of your time with a complete view of the ocean - here's sorta what it looks like
That rock wall is the guardrail
Oh, and today was a jackpot day for whale watching- I must have seen 50+ in one short stretch north of Lopez Point.  Including what looked to be a mother and her calf in a cove close to shore.




When the wind came up it was directly at my back so the last 20 miles were almost like cheating.....

Here's a flower from in front of the Big Sur library where I was using some free wifi (pro tip:  even if the library is closed, the "magic wifi machine " is likely still on and accessible.  

And some more food:
Camp tonight is at San Simeon State park - not the most scenic, but after today's ride that's quite alright ....:)

2 comments:

  1. AMAZING views! And wowsers on the whale spottings!

    If I recall correctly, there's a place near San Simeon where you can pull off to see elephant seals on the beach. When I was there, the place was crowded with people. As I biked further south, I was surprised to learn that there were elephant seals all along the beach. Of course, the people in the cars couldn't hear or see them. But from the seat of my saddle, I had the elephant seals all to myself to enjoy. :)

    I'm glad you had a great day. Keep the memories of today's ride near'n'dear to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome...again! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete