Friday, August 7, 2015

Day 8: Huell Howser Would Be Stoked


Ride:  Lewis and Clark SP to Cathlamet, Wa

Distance:  60 miles


WARNING:  This post has many pictures of old steam powered boats.  Rapid boredom may occur suddenly and without warning.

Today started out like most days:  up early(ish) coffee, granola and packing while still in the sleeping bag and then moving by 7 or so.  More rolling countryside (e.g hills) with pleasant views the whole way:

Canadian geese feeding in a field:




I cross and follow the Cowlitz River and can see folks fishing from drift boats - looks appealing:


The big goal today is to reach the Columbia River which I finally do after grinding up another hill:


 And anyone familiar with state geography will know that Oregon is on a the other side.  So today will be my last day in Washington.

While taking a break along the river, I noticed some fisherpeople - so I Huell Howsered my way over there (yes,I am using it as a verb) and asked them what was up.  Catching steelhead is what was up!  They had 2 nice 8-10 pounders already:

Very nice.  Now I want fish for dinner.

But the real find of today's ride was the campsite: Elochoman Slough Marina.  $20 U.S. And i'm right on the water with showers AND a laundromat.  Definitely a find.  Oh, and I can see a brewery across the marina:


And it gets better (In a Huell Howser kind of way).  The marina is also hosting the annual gathering of the Northwest Steam Society (NWSS).  So there are about 30 vintage steam vessels with some very enthusiastic owners who will answer any question you have (and I had plenty!).  I'll spare you all I learned but here are some pics:




And yeah, that's powered by firewood:


This guy let me blow the steam whistle - but only after I chatted him up a bit - he wasn't sure what to make of me when I rolled up!

All I can say (in my best Huell imitation) "wow!  Those things are amazing"

Good times in Cathlamet

Evening update:  the brewery in Cathlamet (Drop Anchor) is the happening place in town:








9 comments:

  1. Who/what/where/when/why/how is "Huell Howser"? ;)

    Those steam boats are adorable! Tell me you didn't drink that ENTIRE line-up of beers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, the beers were sample sized (4/5 oz?)! Remember the video I showed you ..... Baghdad Cafe, Burt Lancaster picture, lots of awkwardness.....? THAT is the legendary Huell Howser

      Delete
    2. Oh, I was just teasing! How could I forget Huell? After, you are his #1 fan! :)

      Delete
    3. Whew..... Was getting a little concerned for a minute ;-)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Those BEERS! looked amazing...!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy who served them made a point of putting where the light would hit the just right - somehow made them taste even better!

      Delete
  3. Howser would be proud. Cue the theme music. I dig all wood boats, if only I had the time and $.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol another great blog! Lovin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds and looks like another great day. Wow! Those Steel Head are big. Hope you find a good fish place to dine soon. And yes, Huell would have been proud. Boats that run on fire wood, too cool. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete