Saturday, August 29, 2015

Day 30: Big Views, Big Trees, BIG Sur!

Ride:  Sunset Beach state park to Big Sur
Distance:  64.4 miles
Total Trip Distance:  1.662 miles 
Well the views and the scenery did not disappoint! The stretch of road from Carmel to Big Sur is quite spectacular and it was no surprise that I had plenty of vehicular company to enjoy it with.  

Left before 7 from the strawberry patch but unlike other early starts, I had some company.  All of the farm workers were out and about keeping the crops looking good.  I was fascinated by all the work that was going on.  FYI- If you're looking for a job with Saturday's off...... Farm worker is not for you.  

Tyvek suit scarecrows:

A foggy Moss Landing:

Stopped for provisions in Marina and noticed that the store was right next to the hotel I used to stay at when I did work for CSU Monterrey Bay.  Neato.

Sand City:
Yeah I know..... the helmet is crooked....

Getting out of Monterrey  was hot and steep and I worried that the haul to Big Sur would be a sufferfest..... But once I hit Carmel Highlands things got better

This is undoubtedly the nicest gas station I have ever had a deli sandwich at:

Here is what is saw while riding:



I would have taken more pics, but the traffic made stopping more work than it was worth!  I didn't miss any of the sights though.

Pfeifer Big Sur is a great spot, with a large hiker/biker campsite - and (as always) no reservations required :)


Tomorrow I will take my last rest day and explore a bit.

2 comments:

  1. Big views. Big trees. Big Sur. BIG GORGEOUSNESS! The color of that water is just unreal!

    Hope the traffic didn't distract too much.

    I'd like to compliment you on your wardrobe. You seem to be wearing a different shirt every day! Kudos to you for staying fashionable. I just wear the same shirt over-and-over again -- as I'm sure you've noticed. :)

    Enjoy your day off, Mister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to camp every 4th of July week at JFB SP. It is such a great campground. Enjoy the day off and exploration. If so inclined, head down to Muir Beach, it would be a hoof back out but is a really awesome beach and ride down.

    ReplyDelete