Monday, August 3, 2015

Day 4 - Lake Crescent to Bogachiel River

Distance:  53.7 miles
Vampire Sightings:  none

The crux of today's ride was getting around Lake Crescent (via US 101) before traffic got too crazy  So I got rolling at 6:00 a.m. and booked over to see what all the fuss about this stretch of road was.  

I was greeted with this masterpiece from the National Park Sevice risk management team:

It really wasn't that bad - a stretch of SR 20 on day 1 was was a lot sketchier. Most of the truck traffic (logging trucks) were coming the other way, and the empty trucks, were cool and gave me plenty of room. The RVers were still sleeping off their s'mores.....today was the first day I ran into an old friend from the Antelope Valley - WIND.  It was coming straight at me most of the day, and for a stretch  near Lake Crescent, it was howling (and making me cold!).
Can you see the white caps out there?

The rest of the day went by quickly and I get to enjoy the last 10 miles of the Olympic Discovery Trail:


After that it's back to 101 and the logging trucks and RVers.  Plenty wide shoulder, and listening to music makes you almost forget they are there (that's where a rear view mirror helps!):

I make it to Forks before noon, and smell something  good (and warm!) Coming from a cafe - soup!

Really hit the spot. Apparently, the movie "twilight" was filmed here, and the town is milking all the tourist traffic  out of this factoid.  You can't swing a dead cat (or salmon) without seeing a sign or business without a reference to the movie.  

A short pedal after that and I am at home for the night - a lush, forested campground on the Bogachiel River.  Hey Now!!


9 comments:

  1. Love the campsite Ron, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! I was a great spot - AND they had hot showers

      Delete
  2. Alright...third maybe fourth try commenting from my phone, sorry if they all end up being published!

    Yes do keep up the commentary! I look forward to your summary each night! Prob long after your asleep but none the less!

    Safe travels brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I thought I was the only one who had trouble with the iPhone on Blogger.... I think Google doesn't want it to work too smoothly......

      Delete
  3. Hey Ron, looks and sounds amazing. I love the dead body in the lake story?! I hope you many more traffic free smiles ahead. Looks like the weather will cool to normal starting today. Enjoy and safe travels wishes from Flagstaff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff! Yeah, Calvin was one of those guys you could talk to forever.

      Delete
  4. I hope Lake Crescent was worth the views. Ah...Bogachiel...home, sweet, home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lake Crescent was nice, but I wouldn't go back. Now Lake Quinault - I'd go back to!! Bogachiel was nice, eh? The state really does a nice job keeping the parks in good shape

      Delete
  5. I nearly forgot to ask...did you stop for a photo op at the big beaver? :)

    ReplyDelete