Friday, August 21, 2015

Day 22: Avenue of The Giants*

Ride:  Fortuna to Richardson Grove state park
Distance:  62.8 miles
Total Trip Distance:  1,218 miles


Imagine riding 25+ miles on an uncrowded 2 lane highway through giant trees and old growth forest - that's what this lucky guy got to do today.  I didn't take a lot of pictures because I was enjoying the riding too much!
Here's what I got:
Occasionally you would come out of the forest into a little valley with small farms and fruit stands (especially near Pepperwood) here's one with some flowers:


The road I was riding on was called:

* contrary to what some San Francisco Giant fans may think the trees ARE NOT named after famous SF Giants. Although with the weird growth this tree had, you could make a good case for calling it the "Barry Bonds" tree:

Here's  a pic from my visit to the Eel River Brewing Company last night - out of order I know, but I'm tired!

And while we're off track here's a sign that would bring a tear to Huell Howser's eye:

Also got my first flat of the trip today - a steel strand from a shredded truck tire found its way into my rear tire.  Only took 30 minutes to fix, but it looked like a yard sale on the side of the road while I was doing it!

Once I hit Miranda it was clear I was rolling into another area impacted by smoke and fire.  It got really bad around Redway and Garberville where all the Calfire crews were staging etc..... No pics because I figured the best course of action was to get out of their way!  I did ask one of the guys where the fire was to make sure I wasn't  riding into a mess.  Fortunately (for me) it is close, but I will be riding away from it tomorrow.  

The smoke, haze and heat really dial back the swell o-meter:

Cool (new) group in camp- one guy stayed at the county campground last night and had a great time - check out this shirt he got:

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for the giants! Love those flowers, too! Indeed, you are a lucky guy! :) And how cool it is that you can say that, even with your first flat tire! :) The "looked like a yard sale on the side of the road" got an audible chuck out of me -- I can very easily envision the scene.

    Sucky poo about the fires! It seems as though all of eastern Washington state is aflame at the moment, not to mention parts of California and other western states, too -- egads! I can't remember if I told you this, but I'll be staffing a bike trip in the Sierras in mid-September. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the fires won't interfere.

    Keep pedaling, Ronaldo! :)

    ReplyDelete