Sunday, August 16, 2015

Day 17: What Day Is it?

The Route:  Bullard Beach to Humbug Mt. State park
Distance:  40.6 miles
Total Trip Distance:  949 miles 
I was filling out the campsite registration today and when it came to time to fill in the "date" part, it occurred to me that I had no idea.  I knew it was Sunday, but the date - no way. I'm thinking this is a good thing.

Another blue bird day and riding through Bandon this morning took an hour because I kept stopping to take pictures. What a beautiful little town.

Right as you enter town:






All this in a 5 or 6 mile stretch along Beach Loop Rd.  Not to be missed!

Right before I get on 101, I get this pic of a typical "Oregon roller"

Lots of little ups and downs.

Even the 101 was a peaceful ride today- light traffic and a 20 mph tailwind helped. I saw a poor couple heading into the wind (going north)...... The guy was about 1/8 of a mile ahead of his wife/GF and smiled and waved as we passed on the highway.  When she passed, I saw a look on her face that had not seen in many years........  She was not happy, and that young man had a problem on his hands. I met up with my camp friend from last night in Port Orford a few miles later  (Marissa from Ojai) and she got the same impression!  It was funny and sad at the same time.  Here's a pic of Marissa showing me her handmade flags:

One is a small quilt from her mom - hard to see in the pic.

Port Orford rest stop (where I managed to get peanut butter on me and everything around me .....):

A little further down the (still friendly) 101:




Hobo selfie:

So the short day had me in camp at noon.  I did a little bike maintenance and then went to the beach:

Took a nap - this was the view when I woke up:

And collected some berries for dessert (honey added to get the sweetness right).

Still don't remember what day it is, but's it been a good one.

6 comments:

  1. Another postcard day! You've got me thinking about a trip like this now! Almost to CA already! At least it seems already from my soft desk chair, hope it feels the same from the leather saddle! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, last night in Oregon - gonna miss the place. I'm in Brookings for the night and will cross back into The Golden State tomorrow. It really is something to experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, the Pacific looks amazing!!! Oregon is the only western state we never got to visit, looks like we'll have to come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys should get over to the Oregon Coast if you can - it's beautiful and cyclist friendly

      Delete
  4. Congrats on not knowing the date. Just wait until you can't remember the day either. Soon enough, my soon-to-be-retired friend. :)

    Love, love, love your photos -- of all the ships docked in the still waters, of the hobo selfie, of the cute little toes, and of the honey and berries. Would love to see the photo of the peanut-butter-all-over-everything too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! The peanut butter mess was really quite funny...... The only one not laughing was me!

      Delete