Friday, August 28, 2015

Day 29: The Simple Life

Ride:  Half Moon Bay to Sunset Beach state park
Distance:  70.7 miles
Total Trip Distance:  1,597 miles
Pedal , eat, sleep.  Repeat.  it's about as easy as it gets.  Doing it in and through beautiful places makes it even better. During my rest day I plugged back in a bit and got up to speed on the stock market shenanigans, news and other seemingly important things. But when I got back on the road all I could think about was looking for whale spouts,  taking pictures and finding a good breakfast burrito. Simple.  

Today was another long day as I needed to clear Santa Cruz to get to a state park. the less said about Santa Cruz and Aptos the better.....I'm sure they're nice towns but I didn't see the best parts (at least I hope I didn't!)
Sure don't want to take these daily views for granted:


And I'll slip in a pic of last night's sunset:

Lots of open coastline today - and some of the luckiest row crops to be found:





Scored some avocados, figs and apricots from this stand - even got to use a bit of Spanish to haggle with the guys.
Tomorrow I'm hoping to make Big Sur. I've heard from everyone it is one of the most scenic parts of the trip, so I'm going to get to bed early and give it a go!

Camped right next to a strawberry field.... Might grab a little dessert once the sun goes down.....

2 comments:

  1. You ain't kidding about lucky crops! And, shiza -- 99 cents for 8 avocados makes those some damn cheap'n'lucky crops. Tell me you didn't barter down from 99 cents for those 8 avocados. You *must* buy a friggin' huge-box-worth and ship them to me! Pretty please with cheese on top!

    Ah, you're camping next to the strawberry field! That's where I had the encounter with the wild pig in the middle of the night. I hope you don't have any such encounters. Strike that! I hope you *do* have an encounter with a wild pig tonight -- as it will make for an adventurous and memorable evening. :)

    Oh, and Ronaldo, is that a mat at the entrance of your tent??? That must weigh at least a few ounces and take up a wee bit of volume in your panniers. Do explain, please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! No wild pigs, but I did find an owl last night :). The haggling was because I only got 4 avocados and handfuls of the others..... Didn't mesh with their pricing regime! The tent foyer is just my tyvek groundsheet repurposed to help keep sand out of the tent- I also use it to sleep out if the weather is good :)

    ReplyDelete