Friday, August 14, 2015

Day 15: Who Woulda Thought Reedsport Would Be So Fun

Route:  Honeyman SP (vroom, vroom!) to WM Tugman SP
Distance:  31.4 miles


According to the ACA map, Reedsport has a population of 4,154 and "all services".  This seemed like a good place to stop and get sorted out.  I had spent the last 2hrs riding in a steady rain and while I was making good progress, the "swell-o meter" was not pegged. 
Taking shelter under a tree

Soggy view:


The first place I see as I roll into town is the Lighthouse Restaurant. Perfect. I slog in the front door and ask for a table by an electrical outlet if possible (to charge my phone).  The hostess gives me a second glance as I realize I am dripping water onto the floor (and perhaps she's thinking "electricity" is not what I need to be near right now).  But she finds an outlet near where I am sitting and puts a high chair for my phone to sit on - thank you!

40 minutes later I am almost dry, have had several cups of coffee, eggs, bacon, pancakes and a piece of pie made with local berries (forget the name) - and my phone is almost charged.  Alrighty then!  Things are looking up.

Next up:  laundry (it was time a couple of days ago).  Armed with directions from the waitress, I head on down to the laundromat.  I must have reeked of "laundromat newbie" because not one, but two employees wander over to help me - which I needed!  Getting my payment card set up, selecting the proper machine etc..... They even changed the light in the restroom so I could change clothes.  A+ customer service - thank you ladies!

Reedsport, you are starting to grow on me.

Stocked with clean clothes, I start back down the highway and immediately run into this group:

They are riding from Seattle to San Diego to raise funds for MS research and treatment ($1/mile for each person in the group of 12).  They offer me snacks and water but I still had my pancake buzz going. Good luck you guys!

As I pedaled out of town, I had to admit that was one cool town!





Now the sun was out and I felt like riding- but not too much.  I have decided to take a rest day and spread it over the next 3- making each day easier.  I end up at WM Tugman state park- nice and quiet

Oh, and Chris from Vancouver just showed up.  He got behind me yesterday when he and Curtis stopped at the Rogue brewery......perhaps for a bit too long?  Good to see him though

4 comments:

  1. Glad things are going well. Really enjoy reading about daily adventures. Stay safe Bro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a Jeff - each day is always different, and that's part of the fun

      Delete
  2. Looks like another great day! Has Reedsport earned a spot on your list of potential retirement towns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as it was the place I needed yesterday, it will not be making the shortlist!

      Delete