Saturday, August 8, 2015

Day 9: Oregon, Where You Don't Need Quarters

Ride:  Cathlamet to Fort Stevens State Park
Distance:  47.3 miles

I woke up to discover that the NWSS crew DID NOT get all liquored up and lay siege to the campground last night.  In fact, many were up with me in the early morning - still offering me rides on their boats.  Nice people.

It took a bridge and a ferry ride to get across the Columbia River - it's that big:


Puget Island right before the ferry:


Then I was in Oregon!  Where it was up and down along one of the state highways.  Oregon highways seem to have wider shoulders so far (Go ODT!!) and it appears they request that trucks tip up onto 2 wheels when the shoulder is narrow - presumably to help cyclists:


Also took a detour through an eagle reserve but didn't see any Eagles - very scenic though:

Passed through a few small communities:

And then I was in Astoria - a nice touristy town with lots of cars and a bridge that would get me across The Colombia again:
With all the traffic and wind, the bridge crossing was more work than fun.  But the shoulder is plenty wide - you just don't want to be stopping to take any pictures!

Stopped for coffee and soup in Warrenton (and to get out of the wind for a map check).  Found a nice path to get me near to my camp:

And passed this:
Camp tonight is at Fort Stevens state park.  Off the ACA route a bit, but it seemed worth exploring.  Worth the extra miles! It's a beautiful park with $6 hiker/biker sites (11 separate sites) and FREE SHOWERS - no quarters needed.
Today was also the first day of rain - all these trees are finally some getting water - now it's time to go make dinner!

Update:  rain kept doing its thing so I whipped up a little something in the tent:

Made in Oregon 


Final touches to produce a tent bound calorie bomb! 
Yeah, I used a lot of oil :)


2 comments:

  1. Ain't bike camping in Oregon just the best? And...great interpretation of the truck-on-two-wheels sign. :)

    Are you planning on stopping for a tour of the Tilamook factory? I had planned on stopping there, but opted not for two reasons: 1) I passed by waaaay earlier than the factory opened, and 2) the surrounding fields smelled so heavily of cow poop that I sorta lost interest in the free cheese samples. :)

    P.S. Have I told you recently that I like that bike touring smile of yours? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A www thanks :). No planned tour of the cheese factory - but who knows!

      Delete