Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Day 5: Hoh Man! I'm Pedaling Through a Rain Forest

Trip:  Bogachiel River to Quinalt Lake
Distance:  65.6 miles

I woke up in a rain forest and it wasn't raining! (If these were lyrics to a Bob Dylan song, the next line might be "and then someone handed me a bone....."!).
Yes.  Today I did a fair amount of travel through rain forests - including the Hoh rain forest:


Another early start to get a few hours of the 101 to myself (mostly).  Perfect riding weather: 58-60 F, overcast and no wind. Stopped for a snack at rest stop near the Hoh River:

Looks like some good fishing down there....

And of course, no rest stop is complete without some calories:

I had a cheese and honey sandwich for lunch!  There's not much I won't shove into my stomach at this point.

It's easy to get into a content, zen like state as I pedal down the road - everything feels right (and it's hard to get lost on the 101).  I start to pick up the distinct smell of the ocean (the good one, not the dead fish one.....) and I know I am back at the ocean:

This of course makes me smile:

Well that, and all the free berries that can be found just about everywhere:

Cruise along a scenic stretch along the coast:


and then I turn east and head up towards Quinault  Lake:

While checking in for my campsite, I am informed that the Quinault Lodge (you check in for the campsite in a very nice lodge - weird mix of folks) was where President Teddy Roosevelt signed the national park act!  (Oops, correction.... He signed the bill that created the Olympic  National Park here).  Cool beans.  I am heading back later to scope out the actual desk (and buy beer at the store....).

I got a nice campsite right on the lake:

And that lake looked perfect for swimming - so I charged down there and swam for a bit - ahhhhhh :)

Camp neighbors are all super friendly- I have already been offered a chair by my next door neighbor,and some very friendly Canadians (is that redundant?) invited me by site 13 for a beer later  :)

I could get used to this

4 comments:

  1. Peanut butter and bananas are healthy. Can't wait til I start seeing you eat non-healthy foods! ;)

    As always, I like seeing that happy touring smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm getting close..... The lone grocery store in Elma did not have a whole lot of healthy options :)

      Delete
  2. I suspect you will get very used to this!

    I'm with Sarah though, I wanna see some pics of cheeseburgers and chili cheese fries!

    Enjoy, be safe! Especially around those friendly Canucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks man! I'll be bellying up for the deep fried gut bombs soon enough!

    ReplyDelete