Sunday, August 9, 2015

Day 10: Coasting Down the Coast*

Ride:  Fort Stevens SP to Nehalem Bay SP
Distance:  61.8 miles (includes beer run into Manzanita, because the Shell station had crappy beer)


* not really, there are a lot of hills!

Woke up to blue skies and not even a hint of the rain that was predicted.  Groovy.  I started pedaling at 7 (notice how it's getting a bit later ....) and work my way back to where I left the "route". Right after an Elk Crossing sign i see......
This guy brought up the rear and looked at me as if to say "feeling lucky punk?".  I wasn't, so I slowed down and let them all pass.  Lots more country roads and many that included a Lewis and Clark reference - seems I've been roughly following their route for a few days now.



Very pleasant farm country - sometimes the perfect place for a break is right on the road 

Right after climbing this little hill, I had the best 3 mile descent into Seaside - smooth road, nice curves, great views:

Stocked up on food in Seaside and then jumped back on my old friend the 101:

From here on out, the scenery was continuously like a postcard:




Went through the nice town of Cannon Beach and enjoyed cruising down the main blvd and soaking in the scene- mostly people eating!  Sure smelled good:






Another little climb or 2, and I was up here:

Looking down at the town of Manzanita where I was about to put my big chainring to use again for the speedy descent - yippee!!

Camp tonight is at Nehalem Bay SP.  the hiker biker site is already starting to fill up - Matt from Fairbanks (who gave me some fresh salmon), Chris from Vancouver, and 2 folks who just rolled in.

The beach here:

And camp:


And Laurie and Jackie who just finished the Trans America route (Virginia to Oregon).  Nice work!


9 comments:

  1. Looks spectacular! Hope you and your travel rig are holding up well. Looks very peaceful up there. Much better than "sigalert on the antelope Valley freeway". Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff! Was great chatting with you last night

      Delete
  2. It sure does look nice up there! Thanks for opening up a new part of the country for us!
    Cheers man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you guys would like Cannon Beach - had a nice vibe. Taking a rest day and will be checking out Manzanita today

      Delete
  3. In '65 our family moved to Drain, OR. You're too coastal to be traveling through North Douglas Co., however you may spot a sign for HWY 38 when you hit Reedsport. That would take you to Drain. Winchester Bay is where my buddy and I would go crabbing for Dungenuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look for the turnoff as I head south - I'm really liking what I have seen so far!

      Delete
  4. Nice elk sighting! And I like how you're getting a later and later start -- it's like you're retired or somethin'. ;)

    FYI ~~ The views keep getting better and better the farther south you go (at least until the southern tip of Big Sur). Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks - The ocean scenery makes the riding so much more enjoyable. *almost* disappointed when I get to camp! Btw - nice work on the wheel building blondie;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have to agree with Sarah...the views south of Depoe Bay all the way to Honeyman SP are amazing. We explored that route yesterday and it was lovely. Not sure if we will see you along the way as we are heading on our way to Tillamook via the 101 but keep the great blog a comin. Safe riding Cuz!

    ReplyDelete