Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Day 13: Up Into the Fog and Mist

Trip:  Cape Lookout to Beverly Beach State Park
Distance:  72.5 miles 


We had a great sunset last night - made even better by getting to share it with our new buddy Andrew from Kansas.   He is 23 and has never been out of Kansas let alone to the pacific coast (he is riding from Oregon to Virginia).  So when sunset time rolled around the bike campers told him to grab his camera and book it down to the beach.  Here it is:

It was quiet and foggy when I left this morning.  Task #1 was to tackle an 800 ft climb right out of the gate.  What a perfect time of day to do it - I was almost disappointed when I topped out.  Almost. The fog and then drizzle increased as I gained elevation and I could start to see how all this forest got its water.  

A quick snack before the descent:

Homemade by Roseanne :)

Then it was time to steel myself for the descent into the foggy abyss:

It was actually a great experience - reminded me that I was still alive.

Once I finished the descent, I could still see the clouds hanging in the hilltops:

Getting near Pacific City:



Then I took the hwy 12 bypass - what a treat!  No cars and (stop me if you've heard this before) very scenic.  A few hills.... But at this point it's all good!




Right before Depoe Bay I meet some of my most favorite research people in the world - marine biologists (my son Charlie happens to be a Marine Biologist- and yes, I'm proud!).  These folks (from OSU) were studying Gray Whales and were kind enough to stage a photo for me where they were all intently doing "research" - thanks guys!

I stayed long enough to see them spot whale #5 for the day, so they let ME change the tally number on the board - I was practically part of the team now!  Once again, thanks for being so friendly 

Then it was up to Otter Rock (turns out there was lots of up today) where cyclists have their own lane.  Bitchin

And the views up there are killer!



Camp tonight is at Beverly Beach State park.  Chris from Vancouver is here (he is heading south too and we seem to be at about the same pace).  But the first guy I meet when I roll in is this guy:

Who has just rode THAT skateboard across the U.S.- damn!  Nice work man.

7 comments:

  1. A skateboard across the country? Damn, that makes riding a bike cross-country seem so easy!

    I love your photographs! I think I've mentioned before that the Pacific Coast is my favorite tour. It will be difficult to top the views you're experiencing on this trip. But...I guess that's why more bike tours need to happen in the future, eh? Patagonia? Spain? Iceland? Whadya say? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a nice kid - he also has a YouTube channel(?) that he put stuff on - I'll dig it out later

      Delete
    2. Absolutely on the "more bike trips". This is a great way to Really see and experience a place - sights, sounds, smells - you get it all!

      Delete
  2. Yep i agree, great photos and another entertaining blog! Keep it up bro, looks like a great trip so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Stay safe, big brother and enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete