Thursday, August 27, 2015

Day 28: I Lost My Way In San Francisco

I Ride:  Lagunitas to Half Moon Bay
Distance:  66.6 miles
Total Trip Distance:  1,527 miles
First an update from last night.  Charlie came by and spent the night with me - woo hoo!
We had a fun time catching up and watching the raccoons work the camp. Today he headed back to work at the USGS and I headed back to the road. As I got closer to San Francisco I passed through Fairfax, Mill Valley, Sausalito and a couple other swanky communities and I started noticing that the people got prettier, the cars more European, and the traffic worse!  So there are not a lot of pics because I was keeping an eye on all that was going on..... And there was plenty for my simple brain to process!

But as the title of the post suggests I got lost a few times.... for those who know me this is not a surprise AND I got to see some more cool parts of the city.   I was able to find this:
However, I somehow went to the "wrong side" for crossing so I had to schlep the panniers and bike up and down some stairs in the middle of a tourist maelstrom.  Good times.  

Hey bridge people - thanks, I feel real safe and shit..... How about some instructions about how to get to THE CORRECT SIDE OF THE BRIDGE:

Just sayin.....

Here we find "Magellan" resting safely after crossing the bridge:



Once I found my way out of Goldengate Park I was back on the coast......OK, I also got lost in the Presidio.  But that was it.  Really.


Pro Tip Of The Day:  Need directions?  DO NOT ask this guy:

And the scenery only got better as I got closer to Half Moon Bay:



9 comments:

  1. Good timing on my part! Taking a little break and thought I'd check to see if by some chance your daily update had been posted yet...and it had!

    I feel your navigational woes bro! Had more than my share in Europe this year...UGH!!

    Getting closer every day, happy or sad this journey is winding down? Certainly looks like you had a good trip but that is a lot of sustained pressure on a very small yet important part of your body!

    Cheers, enjoy your last few days!
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put me in any city and I will get lost! Nothing new there. I feel "just right" about the trip end being near. I could certainly go longer, but normal life also has it's appeal. Although I heard it was over 100 at home today- great.......!

      Delete
  2. Wow, your odometer shows that you've passed the 1,500 mark!! Nice -- it seems like just yesterday that your odometer rolled into four digits!!

    You are about to enter the most gorgeous part of the entire coast!! I'm so excited for you!!

    Climberpm: You had given me a hard time about my "dude" comment awhile back. Well, the tables have turned, and now it's time for *me* to give *you* a hard time, my friend. :) Your wrote: "...that is a lot of sustained pressure on a VERY SMALL yet important part of your body" (emphasis added). VERY SMALL?!?! I think you owe our hero, Ronaldo, an apology. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Paul knows me well Sarah, and I am sure he was just playing along sorta "tongue and cheek"! There's not much that is too serious about this blog.

      Delete
    2. LOL!!...This went a totally different direction than I expected! My following comments are meant totally in fun, I hope they come across that way!

      First of all Sarah, I look forward to meeting you sometime, you sound fun!

      Secondly...I thought you were making fun of MY dude comment? (I'll have to re-read that post)

      Thirdly and most importantly, Ron's "very small yet important parts". "Dudes", don't often talk about other "dudes" parts, especially on a public forum. My reference to Ron's "small parts" were not specific to Ron but to the area in general and that it is just "very small" to have such a concentration of weight on it for such an extended period.

      As well as I do know Ron, I don't think I have any reference to comment specifically to his "small parts"! Joe W. will sleep better tonight knowing this!!

      Cheers to all!! Ride Safe and Enjoy!!
      Paul

      Delete
    3. It's all in good jest. Yes, Paul, your comments come across as entirely fun, and I hope that mine do as well.

      For the record, us ladies don't at all consider "that area" on guys to be small. (I mean, come on, the lady bits are smaller than the guy bits, right?) And so when "small" is preceded by "very," I'm thinking "what???" :)

      On a somewhat related note, you may be interested to know, if you don't already, that the sustained pressure from riding in a saddle for hours-upon-hours can impact ladies, too. In fact, I mentioned this on my blog a few years ago (the lady bits part starts a few paragraphs after the fourth photo): http://www.honoringmycompass.com/2013/07/day-45-deer-flies-ladybits-more-stealth.html.

      I've met a few of Ronaldo's friends, and they are undoubtedly cool peeps; I can only imagine that you're a cool peep, too. :) I'm sure you'd agree that Ronaldo is one helluva cool guy. I (and I'm assuming you, too) are fortunate to have him as a buddy.

      Peace out and good belly laughs~
      Sarah :)

      Delete
  3. Paul's right - no talking about our junk......now sheep on the other hand...... That's ok, right Joe? Cheers all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I remember hearing about those sheep! You boys crack me up!

      Delete
  4. I'm picturing the look on Joe's face as he innocently reads this and it truly generates an LOL and a HUGE grin on my face!! Thanks Joe, you made my day!

    Lots of fun!

    Yes Sarah, Ron is a pretty cool dude (had to throw that in again!) and I am fortunate to call him a buddy!

    Ride on!!

    ReplyDelete