Monday, August 24, 2015

Day 25: Bombing Down HWY 1

Ride:  Gualala To Sebastopol
Distance:  63.7 miles
Total Trip Distance:  1,411 miles
I was treated to some of the best descents of the trip today - and there have been a lot of good ones so far.  Started out quiet and overcast on HWY 1 - very peaceful:



And before I knew it, I had pedaled 20 miles or so.
The backside of Fort Ross:
Then the fun began.  Well first, there was a bit of climbing, but the grade was reasonable, temps perfect and traffic light.

The pictures really don't show it well, but once I reached the high point, there were 2 or 3 several mile descents on silky smooth roads along the edge of the coast - exhilarating!





When I dropped down into Jenner - look who was waiting for me:

Why it's Mike (bother in law) and Norm and Gary!  They take me on a super nice (but speedy by my recent standards) 30 mile ride back into Sebastopol - thanks guys!

You see these all over Sebastopol - the artist lives locally.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is the first time in my life that I've ever thought: "Yeah for bombs!" I remember those descents well. I prayed to god that my brakes worked. And I fondly recall screaming "f%$* yeah!!" a number of times at the top of my lungs. Glad you enjoyed the downhills, too. Now you can kick back and enjoy your stay at a real home...and sleep in a real bed!

    ReplyDelete