Thursday, August 20, 2015

Day 21: Eureka! And The Sun Returns

Route:  Patricks Point SP to Fortuna
Distance:  54.3 miles
Total Trip Distance:  1,155 miles

Couple updates from last night:

First banana slug sighting:

I also scrambled up to look out rock – what an awesome view!



I wake  up to some light rain this morning – made packing up a little soggy but seems like everything always dries out.  The mist and fog lifted enough for me to get some nice views along Patrick's point Drive:



Then I rode via a series of quiet roads and trails (no 101!) through the nice towns of McKinleyville in Arcata:



Also passed by the northernmost CSU campus (Humbolt)

I use Google to route me to a Walmart in Eureka (which is Greek for "I have found it") so I could do a major food/sundry stock up.  Passed by some sketchy looking characters just off the property who seem to perk up when they saw some shiny things on my bike....ruh roh.....no way I was leaving my bike out in front of the store with those meth vultures circling around.  So I scanned the parking lot and Eureka! I see my MS riding buddies from Reedsport.  Yes! They were on a break and gladly watch my bike while I shop – thanks guys!

Then the sun came out!

I veered a bit off course because my planned campsite at Humboldt County Fairgrounds is being used for…… The fair!  I could've stayed with the "vendors" which would likely include carnies - a road I'm not ready to travel yet!  The Riverland RV park in Fortuna seemed like a better fit for me.  Plus, they have a laundromat, Wi-Fi, and easy access to110 V.  Which brings me to the....

Pro Tip of The Day:  View restrooms as resource center. If you need to charge your phone and the empty campground restroom has an outlet (and of course there are other restrooms  available - don't be a dick).  Hang out for a while and get some charging done. Look at how happy this fool is

Also did some light bike cleaning this afternoon - the grime was starting to accumulate:


8 comments:

  1. Another nice write-up dude! The scenery continues to be amazing! Sounds like an awesome journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree...another nice write-up, dude! :)

    Bummer you couldn't stay in the Humboldt County Fairgrounds! I recall the fairgrounds to be...memorable. :) Sounds as though you're fairing well at the RV park. Glad to hear that.

    Love your pro tip of the day! Indeed, that is quite the fool you photographed there! Do tell why you're constantly needing to recharge your battery. You doin' a lot of texting or somethin'? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A solar charger works great...... If there is sun! Gotta look at getting one of those fancy pants generator hubs - know anyone who can build the wheel ;-)

      Delete
    2. Maybe, just maybe. And maybe I also have some beta on those fancy pants generator hubs for you. The downside of generator hubs, as you know, is that you ain't generating power if you ain't moving. So, not a great set-up for rest days. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks man! I have to give some credit to the iPhone too....it's amazing how well it does with taking and editing photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...hey Sarah, are you messing with "the dude"? That ain't cool man! ;-) Hopefully that came across as a Big Lebowski reference as it was intended?
    Ride on DUDE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me? Messing with the dude? No way! I'm too smart to be involved with those shenanigans. :)

      Delete