Saturday, August 15, 2015

Day 16: Mr. Blue Skies

 Route:  Tugman SP to Bullard Beach SP
Distance:  57.2 miles 
Total Trip Distance:  901 miles


Remember that old ELO song, Mr. Blue Skies? (C'mon admit it, you do) I've always liked that song and was humming it as I peddled (quietly) out of camp this morning.  Because today was nothing but blue skies!  Oh, and an occasional 15-20 mph tail wind.

But first a quick pic of last nights dinner which became a huge success when I discovered some (slightly smashed) sun-dried tomatoes in the bottom of my food pannier. Pasta with sun dried tomatoes, herbs, and Parmesan cheese:

The first choice today was do I take the Coos Bay Bridge, or a longer bypass (some folks don't like bridges).
I actually enjoy bridges (and tunnels) but am happy to choose a route off of 101 - so I took the bypass.  Longer and more hilly, but all good:

I even got my own little bridge:


And I got to see downtown Coos Bay:

The next choice was the "7 Devils" road or stay on 101.  Once again, I went for the longer hillier route!  I guess there are supposed to 7 big hills on the road (I lost count) but it was scenic and quiet:


I powered myself up the climbs with taffy I procured at a local mercantile:

And there were some nice road notes:


So my "easy day" ended up over 55 miles..... The other guys from camp (Chris, Zander and Bob) took 101 the whole way and it was only 40 miles.  But they missed the road art!

The campgrounds just keep getting better.  Tonight we have our own solar powered charging station:


Oregon likes bikers!

A couple beach shots..... Since I'm at the beach:






1 comment:

  1. Ah, you saw the "devil art" that I spray painted on the road for you!!! ;) JK.

    Yeah for taking the longer, hillier routes! And yeah for taffy! Love that stuff!

    ReplyDelete