Monday, August 17, 2015

Day 18: 'Twas a Fierce Nor-Wester a Blowin

Route:  Humbug SP to Harris beach SP
Distance:  54.1 miles 
Total Trip Distance:  1,004 miles 

Pro tip for the day: according to 2 guys I met outside the Fred Meyer's in Port Orford, you can camp on any beach in Curry County for nine days. And just ignore the sheriff because "they don't know what they are talking about".  Thanks fellas, I'll keep that in mind.......

Can you see that wind?

I met a guy when I was buying beer and taffy  in Coos Bay.  He was a commercial fisherman and had just got off a salmon boat (of course I asked....).  I told him I was heading to Bandan via the the 7 Devils Rd.  Oh, he says "that's a tough one, but yeel have a nor-wester at yee back". (Ok, I added Some salty embellishment.....).  But he was right- I have had a strong tail wind ever since, and today was the strongest. 

Passed through the towns of Ophir and Gold beach and was treated to excellent views at every stop:


Also took another country road alternate and had fun taking some different pics:

My daily view:



Lunch:


Every stop seemed to have a view like this

Planning our next stretch of the trip:

The group in camp has grown too numerous to name each person anymore!  There are about 10-12 of us traveling at roughly the same pace.  Fun to catch up each evening and see how everyone's day went.

Harris Beach looks to also have a prime sunset viewing spot so hopefully I can get a few good shots.

Like this:

6 comments:

  1. OMG, that nutty peanut butter sandwich looks soooo good! :)

    I like the nifty contraption you made to prevent your map from flapping. As soon as I got back from my ride down the coast, I added some velcro to the underside of the map case. I tell ya, though, it's only a problem when you've got rock awesome tailwinds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubber bands are playing a key roll on this trip ...... :)

      Delete
  2. And congrats, btw, on hitting the 1,000 mile mark!! It feels good to have pedaled that far, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I was going to take a picture, but the odometer just rolle over to 0.00. Ha!

      Delete
  3. Ron - these state parks, espec in Oregon, were exceptional. Harris Beach probably the pick of them. Tassy Greg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree Greg! Although my personal favorite was Cape Lookout.
    Cheers! Ron

    ReplyDelete