Sunday, February 22, 2015

Death Valley Day 3

Ride: Furnace Creek to Stovepipe Wells
Distance: 25 miles

Well, the weather was good while it lasted. Last night the winds came up and this time it was clear the weather was changing - and not for the better. So rather than heading down to Badwater and then Stovepipe Wells, I just packed up and booked for Stovepipe Wells.
Clouds coming in
As this was another "shakedown" ride, I got to see how the rig (and it's pilot) would do in strong(30-35 MPH) headwinds (and crosswinds). I think we passed the test - the only uncomfortable moments were when one of those giant, flat faced RVs got a little too close (no shoulders on the roads here) and smacked me with a bow wave of air that (like me) probably just wanted to get out of his way! 



But most of the drivers were more than courteous and gave me plenty of room - which I occasionally needed with the gusty winds! Got back to the truck just in time for the rain to start. Now I was the one who didn't mind being inside a comfortable, climate controlled vehicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment