Thursday, July 9, 2015

Bicycling The Pacific Coast

Planning.......lots of planning
I'm not sure when the idea for doing this ride first came to me. It might have been a couple of years ago when I was camping in Idyllwild and met a couple from New Zealand who were riding from Mexico to Canada via the Sierra and Cascade ranges. Impressive! I didn't know people did such things. They even had a set of maps designed specifically for the route - which to me, made the whole thing seem semi legit. Or it could have been when I was researching and preparing for a mountain bike ride from Durango to Moab last summer, and I started to understand that bike touring was a great way to travel and experience everything around you. But, by the time I started hosting cycle tourists at my house (through the Warmshowers organization) and hearing their amazing stories, I was well on my way down the rabbit hole.

Everyone I talked with said the Pacific Coast route would be the best tour to start with. The logistics are easy, scenery spectacular, camping plentiful and with its popularity, finding companionship along the way would be easy. So that's what I'm going to do. I fly up to Bellingham Washington on July 30th, and start pedaling south on the 31st. With any luck, I'll arrive in at mom's house in Oxnard around September 4th.

Here are some of the logistical details for those interested:

DISTANCE: Approximately 1800 miles without side trips and scenic detours (of which I hope there are many)

ROUTE: I'll start off by touring through the Olympic National Park (via the Olympic Discovery Trail), but will then stay pretty close to the pacific coast the rest of the way down
.
BIKE: Here's the rig I'll be riding. More detail can be found here
The Rig
ACCOMMODATIONS: Ideally I'll be camping every night, but may also use a Warmshowers host, hostel or (shudder) hotel.

FOOD: Self prepared and mostly easy to pick up along the way. Restaurants and coffee shops are also options and can have the added bonus of wifi and a power outlet for device charging (I will also have a solar charger).

GETTING TO THE START: I'll be flying, and The Rig will be going up on Amtrak the week before. Amtrak is by far the easiest and least expensive way to ship a bike (and the Amtrak folks have been very helpful whenever I have talked with them). All I have to do once I land in Bellingham is find the bike, put a few things back together (pedals and handlebars) and start pedaling.

NAVIGATION: The Adventure Cycling Association has an set of excellent maps that cover most of the route. I will also be following most of the Olympic Discovery Trail and utilized their website as a resource. If all else fails, I have an iPhone with all of its navigation firepower at my disposal...... Assuming I have cell coverage.

COST: Camping fees will be the largest cost, followed by food and then transportation (to Bellingham). I am estimating that the daily costs for the 35+ days will be ~ $35/day. This could bump up substantially if I discover a good pub or two along the way......



No comments:

Post a Comment