Thursday, July 30, 2015

Pacific Coast Tour - Getting to the Start


Today's route: LAX to Bellingham, Wa
Well, getting the bike to the start turned out to be more effort than I had originally planned. Amtrak Express (plan A) turned out not to be a viable option (despite numerous phone calls where I was told it was possible). Of course I didn't know this when I hauled The Rig down to Union Station last Sunday to send it on its way to Bellingham. But I quickly found out when I met "Marge" the shipping clerk at Amtrak. Marge (who "has been doing this 23 years") made it very clear my bike was not going on a train to Bellingham. Bummer. Wish Marge had been at the other end of the phone when I had called previously. Note: You CAN Ship human remains from Union Station to Bellingham on Amtrak Express. Just not a bike. Ever.

Plan B would be to ship the bike via Fed Ex, but I really didn't have enough lead time to do that comfortably, and it would probably arrive a day after I did. So I went with Plan C: take it with me on the plane. First, I made multiple calls to Alaska Airlines to make sure I COULD do this (once again, I was cheerfully told "no problem sir,"). Then I scrounged up a used bike shipping box (thanks Bob and Shilo at Squeaky Wheel bike shop - you guys are the best!) and disassembled the rig so it could fit into the box. Racks, fenders, rear derailer, handle bars, seat, etc.... Needed to come off and then I played Jenga with all the parts trying to get them to fit in the box:
It all fits!

Rolled up sections of cardboard for lateral support. Extra points if you can guess the beer brand.


Mom gives me a ride to LAX in the morning (3 a.m. Blast off ..... ) reminding me (once again), That she is the best!

Mom an Larry giving me a proper send off:
Flights go smoothly except for a slight delay in Seattle.  Hats off to Alaska Airlines and their handling of the bike.  It showed up without a scratch, and the guy who DELIVERED it to me in baggage claim even helped me un box it and chatted me up about the ride.  

Reassembly in the baggage claim area was about as good as you can get.  Carpeting, a view of Mt. Baker, and a friendly person from the airport checking in on me from time to time.  I even managed to get it all back in working order (from this):
Rounded out the (long) day with some running around town to buy food, stove fuel, and mail back some stuff.  

No comments:

Post a Comment