Friday, February 20, 2015

Death Valley - Day 1

Ride: Stovepipe Wells to Mesquite Springs campground (side trip to Scotty's Castle)
Distance: 54 miles
Lots of wide open road


Made a last minute decision to do another mini tour - this time to Death Valley. California may have its faults (no pun intended), but beautiful places for weekend bike tours is certainly not one of them. Left the peaceful Pine Avenue Compound at 430 and after a very nice drive via CA 190, was at Stovepipe Wells at 8:00. A little final packing and I was rolling at 830.
Nice rest spot

Was a bit worried about the wind as a dry front was supposed to be kicking some north winds up, but all I had was a tailwind! No complaints from me...... Although it will probably come in tonight and blow me out to Vegas!

Easy riding, courteous drivers and (of course) the surreal beauty of the valley kept me smiling :) and before I knew it, I had knocked out 40 miles and was at the campground (there was a pretty good 2500 ft. Grind at the end that had me glad I that brought 3 water bottles).
I found a site and had camp set up in short order. When I went to pay for my site, I got a nice surprise:
That works for me

To celebrate my windfall, I took a quick ride up to see Scottys Castle - while taking a break there, this coyote cruised through looking for some tourist handouts!
Wiley working the tourists


Scotty's handy work
Signs with numbers and arrows help tell the story

Met some nice folks in camp (steve and terry from Portland) chatted for an hour or so about camping, running and the drought. Nice people. The crescent moon was paired up with a couple planets (Mars and Venus I found out later) which made for a just evening sky show. Fell asleep with a pack of coyotes howling and barking their evening plans amongst their pack.

Can't see the smaller planet (Mars)


No comments:

Post a Comment