Saturday, February 21, 2015

Death Valley Day 2

Ride: Mesquite Springs to Furnace Creek
Distance: 52 miles

The winds did come up from the north last night, but not too bad and I was only shaken awake a couple of times. Coffee'd up, fed and rolling by 730. After the 2 mile grind out of the campground (uphill and into the wind - nice warm up). I set sail for Furnace Creek. With a 20 mph tailwind and heading downhill, I averaged about 25 mph for the first 20 miles - nice!
I can't get enough of the open road views
Mesquite was in bloom
While waiting for campground kiosk to open after lunch, I ran over to store and grabbed a drink.
It was about 85 F - shade felt great!


The visitor center had a super swell (filtered) water bottle filler so the water didn't taste like borax - a big plus for a water connosuer like me. Met some more nice people in camp and then got down to cooking up a little dinner - pasta and herbs with smoked trout. This paired nicely with a pale ale from the Furnace Creek general store. Simple pleasures :)

A fine pale ale is best enjoyed in a semi- clean plastic cup


No comments:

Post a Comment